What Is Inactive Timeout in Discord? It is common that when you are using Discord and get away from the keyboard for a while, you may notice that some of your friends seem to be talking about things you missed, despite the fact that you are on the same server as them.
You might be wondering why the inactive timeout is pushed out to inactive members on your given server, but it is because the server you are a member of has its own AFK channel that is pushed out to inactive members based on the inactive timeout set by the server owner or admin.
This post will guide you if the inactive timeout is a new concept to you. # What Is Inactive Timeout in Discord?
It is possible to manage server activity and keep the server active and engaged by using the inactive timeout feature in Discord.
This can be useful for managing server activity and keeping the server active and engaged by automatically kicking users when they have been inactive for a set amount of time.
What Is an Inactive Timeout in Discord?
While you’re on an audio-only Discord channel, you need to stay active in the group, otherwise someone else might be able to take your spot.
As a server moderator, I know that AFK (away from keyboard) channels are set up by server moderators in order to give space to other members by removing inactive members. Members in AFK channels are moved automatically based on the amount of time they have spent idle.
The inactive timeout in Discord is defined as the period of time that a member is supposed to stay inactive for that period of time before being moved to the AFK channel. The server admin or moderator should be able to set the inactive timeout as 1, 5, 15, 30, or 60 minutes, so that the space can be given to another member.
How to set an inactive timeout for your Discord server?
As soon as a member realizes he or she has been moved to the inactive channel, he or she can again increase their activeness to be able to move back to the previous voice channel.
Here are the steps you need to take in order to set a Discord timeout for your server when it is inactive:
- To change your Discord server settings, you need to log in to your account and click the server name in the left sidebar.
- Select the “Members” tab from the Server Settings menu.
- Click on “Inactive Timeout” at the bottom of the page.
- Drop-down menus let you set inactive timeouts for various amounts of time.
- Save the changes to your server by clicking “Save Changes”.
Those who are able to set an inactive timeout for a server will be able to do so as long as they are members of the server. Those who are not members of the server will not be able to set an inactive timeout for another server so long as they are not owners or administrators.
Furthermore, we would like to make clear that this feature will not only apply to users who are currently online or who are actively using Discord, but also to all users who have not been active on the server for a period of time specified by the feature.
How To Create an AFK Channel and Set Its Inactive Timeout?
In this guide, we’ll provide instructions on how to set up an AFK and inactive timeout for a voice channel. In order to do this, we’ll create the voice channel on a desktop and set it to be an AFK.
As a first step, let’s create a channel for voice communication.
- Log in to your Discord account on the web.
- Select the server where you wish to create a channel once you have logged in.
- Select the server’s name from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Create Channel” from the menu.
- Enter the channel’s name in the Create Channel window and select “Voice.”.
- In the bottom right corner, click on “Create Channel.”.
After having created the voice channel, we can now use it as an AFK channel by following the steps below. We will use this voice channel to create our AFK channel through the steps we will follow below.
- “Server Settings” can be found by clicking the option.
- The next section is “Overview.”.
- Click “Inactive channel” on the right and select the voice channel that we created.
- In the drop-down menu next to it, select the desired timeout period by clicking the drop-down menu.
- Once you’ve set the other options, click the “Save Changes” button.
Inactive members have now been added to the AFK channel automatically. # What Is Inactive Timeout in Discord?
Discord inactive timeout not working
There can be a number of reasons why the inactive timeout feature does not work on your Discord server and the following are some possible causes and possible solutions to the problem:
- There may be an issue with the inactive timeout feature on your server. Go to the “Members” tab in the server settings and check if it is enabled. Select a time period from the drop-down menu under “Inactive Timeout” and scroll down.
- Users with higher roles, such as server owners or administrators, cannot kick users with the inactive timeout feature. Ensure that the user you are trying to kick has a lower role on the server than you do.
- Inactive timeout only applies to users who haven’t logged in for the specified period of time. If a user has logged in within the last few minutes, the inactive timeout will not apply.
- Check your server’s permissions if you still aren’t able to use the inactive timeout feature. Make sure you have the correct permissions to kick users, and that a higher role isn’t overriding it.
Having tried these steps, if you still are having trouble with the inactive timeout feature after trying them, it may be necessary to contact Discord support so that they can help you further.
How long does discord timeout last?
There are several different types of timeouts that can be applied in Discord, and their duration varies depending on the type of timeout applied.
There are several different types of timeouts that can be applied in Discord, including the following:
- Inactive timeout: Server owners or administrators set this timeout, which kicks inactive users after a period of inactivity. An administrator or server owner can set the duration of this timeout, which can range from a few hours to several weeks.
- Mute: Server owners or administrators can apply this timeout to prevent users from sending messages in the server’s text channels. A server owner or administrator can also set the length of time for this timeout, which can range from a few minutes to an indefinite period.
- Ban: An administrator or server owner may set this timeout to prevent users from accessing the server. Likewise, the server owner or administrator can set the length of time for this timeout, ranging from a few days to an unlimited amount of time.
In addition, it’s important to remember that timeouts are not permanent and can be revoked at any time by the administrator or owner of the server.
In the event that you have been given a timeout and wish to appeal it, you should contact the server owner or administrator and explain to them your situation.
Depending on the circumstances, the server owner or administrator may be able to lift the timeout or reduce it in length.
It is one of the key goals of Discord to create an environment in which members can remain active when they are on a server.
A way to achieve this goal is to make it possible for administrators or moderators to build an AFK channel in which inactive members can be pushed to ensure they remain active.
A member who is inactive for a certain period of time gets added to an AFK channel after that point in time has passed for the member who has been inactive for that particular period of time.