How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls? Parental controls can be set using Google Family Link, including limiting screen time, locking devices, and tracking their location. A parent can view their child’s smartphone activity, manage what apps they can use, and even restrict what apps they can download.
There is no content filtering feature in Family Link, but some apps have their own options to prevent inappropriate content from being displayed. Several Google apps, including Search and Chrome, have filtering options that you can access through Family Link, such as Search and Chrome. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
In addition to using the Restricted Mode on YouTube as an option, parents of teens 13 and older can also use this setting in order to filter out the mature content that is available on YouTube. Despite this, Google warns that these filters may not be perfect, so it may be possible for explicit, graphic, or other content you don’t want your child to see to sneak through.
It is possible for children and teenagers who are using Android devices that are running version 7.0 or higher to use Family Link. Depending on your Android version, you may be able to run Family Link on some devices running Android 5.0 or 6.0. Similarly, you can use Family Link on any iPhone or Android device running iOS 9 or higher, or on any Android device running version 4.4 or higher.
The Family Link app is also available for Chromebooks. In the Family Link app, you can manage your child’s access to websites, supervise their use of apps, and many other features that will help you keep an eye on their activities. The Family Link software can be used on Chromebooks running Chrome OS versions 71 or later. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
What is Google Family Link?
Family Link is a service that can help parents control their children’s access to their Android or Chromebook devices. On their own Android device or iPhone, parents can install the Family Link app in order to view and manage various aspects of their children’s smartphone activity remotely, including setting screen time limits for them and limiting the use of certain apps on their phones.
It is possible for parents to do the following with Family Link: # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
- Check out what games and apps their children are playing
- Subscriptions and purchases in apps can be controlled
- Restrict access to certain websites
- By locking the phone or selecting specific apps, you can manage screen-time
- Locate the Android phone of their child
As long as a child is 13 or under, he or she cannot create their own Google account, but his or her parents can set up a supervised account for their child if they wish. A different age applies in some countries (in some countries, the age is different). There are varying degrees of control that parents can exercise over their children’s devices using Family Link, even though they have older children. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
How To Set Up Family Link on a Smartphone?
There is a bit of maturity involved in managing all the things you can do with smartphones and tablets safely and securely and your child may not yet be at that level. Family Link can help you with that, and that is where it comes in.
As a parent, this system allows you to do the managing so that you can keep an eye on your child and make sure he or she enjoys his or her device under your supervision. It doesn’t completely remove the responsibility from your child – after all, this is a learning process, after all – but it lets you determine what websites can be accessed, what apps can be used, and when — and when not — they can use their device. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls? # How To Set Up Family Link on a Smartphone?
- Your first step should be to download the Family Link app onto your own device (Android or iPhone).
- Family Link will walk you through linking your account with your child’s account if your child already has one. The process of linking the accounts may also involve your child downloading the Family Link Child/Teen app on their phone.
- You can also create a Google Account for your child if he or she does not already have one (or Gmail). Creating a Google account is easy here. Any child under the age of 13 can also be given a Google Account through Family Link.
- The new account will be available once the new account has been created and children are able to sign in to their devices.
- Set digital ground rules for your family using Family Link once the accounts are linked.
How To Block Or Unblock An App On Family Link?
In spite of the fact that the Family Link app is intended to block all inappropriate content on children’s phones, parents cannot do so. Filtering options are only available in certain apps that are specifically designed to protect children. As a matter of fact, both Google Search and Chrome offer a lot of specific filtering options that can be accessed via Family Link. There is also a “restricted mode” available on YouTube. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
In the Family Link app, you will find the following information:
- You will need to open the Family Link application.
- Choose a child from the list.
- You will need to find the card that has the installed apps.
- Tap More.
- You can either allow or block an app by tapping on its name in the list.
- Turn Allow app on or off.
On Family Link on the Web
- Visit the Family Link website.
- Choose a child.
- Go to the Android app store.
- Activate or deactivate the app.
How To Require Your Approval for New Apps on Google Play?
Using a computer to do this
- Visit the My Account section of the Google Play website on your computer.
- Click Family Group.
- You can select a member of your family by clicking their name.
- It is possible to select All content, All paid content, Only in-app purchases, or No approval required for content.
When using an Android device
- The Play Store app is available on Android phones and tablets.
- Click the menu.
- Click on Account.
- Click the Tap Family icon.
- The Manage family members option will appear.
- Tap a family member’s name.
- Approve purchases by tapping the button.
- It is possible to select All content, Only paid content, Only in-app purchases, or No approval is required.
If you are using an iPad or iPhone
- You can access your Google Play account on an iPhone or iPad by visiting the Google Play My Account page.
- You can find it under Family Groups.
- Names of family members can be tapped.
- Alternatively, you may choose to view all content, all paid content, only in-app purchases, or do not require approval.
How To Choose Permissions for a Certain App?
The following steps should be repeated if your child uses more than one device, so that each permission can be chosen separately.
- Family Link can be accessed by opening the app.
- Choose your child.
- Look for the card with the installed apps.
- Click to learn more.
- The Allowed list can be found here.
- Change your child’s permissions for the app you want to change.
- Go to the permissions section of the app.
- You can turn on or off the permission.
How To Block or Allow Certain Sites Using Google Family Link?
It is possible for your child to request permission from an adult before visiting a certain website if you block it. As soon as the request is submitted, you will receive a notification in the Family Link app where you can either approve or deny it.
- Websites: Websites that begin and end differently, like www.google.co.uk or get.google.com/tips, won’t be blocked or allowed if you block or allow www.google.com.
- Domains: When a domain is blocked or allowed, it affects all sites within it, including sites that begin or end differently, such as images.google.fr and google.com.
Sites can be blocked or allowed
- Launch the Family Link app.
- Choose your child.
- The Settings card can be found here.
- Make sure the Settings tab is selected.
- Open Google Chrome and tap Filters.
- Select Manage sites from the menu.
- You can either tap Approved or Blocked.
- Tap Create at the bottom right of the screen.
- You can add a website or domain here.
- In the top left, tap Close.
How To Change Website Permission Settings Google Family Link?
Whether your child can give permission to websites they visit, including permission to use their location and camera, is up to you. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
- The Family Link app can be opened by clicking on it.
- Choose the child.
- You will find the Settings card on the left hand side.
- To manage your settings, tap the Manage settings button.
- On the Google Chrome browser, tap the Filters button.
- The Chrome dashboard can be accessed by tapping it.
- It is possible to turn on or off permissions for sites and apps.
On the Chrome dashboard, you can also change the setting for your child by clicking on the name of the child under the Settings tab. Children will be unable to grant permissions to websites and apps when the option “Permissions for sites and apps” is off. It should be noted, however, that the permissions they have already granted will remain in place. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
Preventing Guest Mode Access Google Family Link
It is possible that kids will attempt to bypass parental controls on their personal profiles by logging in as guests, which could expose them to potential dangers and inappropriate content as a result. The good news is that you can turn off guest mode so your child always has to log in with their own profile instead of using a guest account.
Here is how to delete the guest mode from your computer?
- To open Quick Settings, swipe down with two fingers from the top of your child’s device’s Home screen, the lock screen, and many apps screens.
- Switch the user by tapping.
- Select Add guest from the menu. In this way, a guest profile will be created on the device for you.
- After logging into guest mode, swipe down again with two fingers.
- You can switch back to your main account by tapping Remove guest.
- Using two fingers, swipe down again and make sure Add users from lock screen is turned off.
How to Lock, Unlock, and Locate Your Child’s Device with Google Family Link?
Using the Family Link app, you can lock your child’s Android device as well as unlock it, and you can do so by selecting the child’s profile in the app. There will be two options in bold in the upper left corner – Lock now or Unlock now. There are two options available for locking/unlocking the phone of your child. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls?
There is a parent access code feature that allows parents to lock or unlock the Android device of a child even if the phone is not connected to the Internet.
If you wish to track the location of your child, click on their profile in the app and then select Set Up. This will show you a card that says “Location” (you will see this card once you click on their profile). Then select Location on the settings page. # How To Set Up Google Family Link Parental Controls? # How To Set Up Family Link on a Smartphone?