How To Delete Slack on Mac? Here is our complete guide on how to delete Slack from your Mac! Slack is a popular communication tool for teams and businesses worldwide.
You may, however, want to remove Slack for a variety of reasons – maybe you want to switch to another communication platform, or maybe you don’t need it anymore, or maybe you’re trying to free up some storage space.
You need to give someone else ownership of your Slack account in order to delete it. Once you deactivate your Slack account, there are two ways you can uninstall it.
First, you can use Finder to move all Slack files to the trash. Second, you can uninstall Slack using any third-party app.
You can uninstall Slack from your Mac for whatever reason you choose. # How To Delete Slack on Mac?
In this blog, we’ll take you through the step-by-step process, ensuring a clean and smooth removal. So, if you’re ready, let’s get started.
Before you uninstall Slack
Rather than simply removing Slack from your Mac, if you’re a workspace owner, you should transfer ownership of the workspace first.
Those who are not workspace owners can skip ahead.
How to transfer ownership
- Click on the workspace for which you are the owner in Slack.
- Select Administration and then “Manage members.”
- A web browser will open the workspace administration page.
- Choose “Transfer ownership” from the three dots next to your name.
- Select a new primary owner from the team members and type your password.
- To transfer workspace ownership, click the Transfer Workspace Ownership button.
- All workspaces you own should be processed in the same way.
How To Delete Slack on Mac?
Here are the steps you need to follow to remove Slack from your Mac:
Method 1: Using Launchpad
- Click “Launchpad” in the Dock or hit the “F4” key on your keyboard to launch it.
- On the application list, locate the Slack icon.
- After clicking and holding the Slack icon, it will start jiggling.
- To close Slack, click the “X” icon at the top left corner.
- After clicking “Delete”, you will be asked if you wish to delete the app. Click “Yes” to remove Slack.
Method 2: Using Finder
- Click on the blue and white smiley face icon in the Dock to open a new Finder window.
- To view a list of installed applications on your Mac, click “Applications” on the left sidebar.
- Locate the Slack app on the list by scrolling through it. # How To Delete Slack on Mac?
- To move the Slack app icon to the Trash bin, either right-click on it or select “Move to Trash” from the context menu.
- To permanently delete Slack from your Mac, right-click on its Trash icon and select “Empty Trash.”.
Method 3: Using App Cleaner & Uninstaller (Third-Party Tool)
Alternatively, you can use an uninstaller app like “App Cleaner & Uninstaller” to complete the uninstallation process thoroughly.
Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the Mac App Store and install “App Cleaner & Uninstaller”.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Your Mac will be scanned for installed applications.
- Click on the checkbox next to Slack in the list of applications.
- To uninstall Slack completely from your Mac, click the “Remove” button.
It is important to remove Slack completely from your Mac after using any of these methods. Remember that when you uninstall Slack, all of its data, including messages and files, will be deleted.
Slack can be downloaded from the Slack website or the Mac App Store if you plan to use it again in the future. # How To Delete Slack on Mac?
How do I remove Slack from my laptop?
Following these steps will allow you to remove Slack from your laptop, depending on the operating system it is running:
- In the bottom-left corner of your screen, click the Windows icon to open the “Start” menu.
- Select “Apps” or “Apps and features” from “Settings” (gear-shaped icon).
- Scroll down to find “Slack” in the installed apps list.
- Slack can be uninstalled by clicking the “Uninstall” link under “Slack”.
- Confirm the uninstallation process by following the on-screen prompts.
- If you click the smiley face icon in your bottom-left corner, you will be able to open “Finder”.
- To see a list of installed applications, click “Applications” on the left sidebar.
- Look for “Slack” and choose one of the following options:
- You can drag the Slack icon from the Dock to the Trash bin.
- Move the Slack app icon to the trash by right-clicking it.
- When you have moved Slack to the Trash, right-click on the Trash icon and click “Empty Trash” to permanently remove it.
Here are some common commands for removing Slack from Linux based on your distribution. You can generally uninstall Slack with the package manager or command line.
- On Ubuntu or Debian-based systems:
sudo apt-get remove slack-desktop
- On Fedora or Red Hat-based systems:
sudo dnf remove slack
- On Arch Linux:
sudo pacman -R slack-desktop
Your Linux distribution and package manager may differ from what is specified below. Make sure you are using the correct command for your system.
The steps above should be followed to remove Slack. Once you have done so, you will be able to delete all of Slack’s data, including messages and files, from your computer.
You can download and install Slack from the official Slack website or your operating system’s app store if you plan to use it in the future.
How to uninstall Slack manually
Let’s take a look at how you can manually delete Slack from your Mac now that you’ve seen how easy it is.
- Mac users, quit Slack if it’s running.
- To delete the Slack app, drag it to the trash in your Applications folder.
- Navigate to the folder by clicking the Go menu in Finder.
- Click Return and type: /Library/.
- Drag the files with the word “Slack” in them to the trash when you find them in /Library/.
How to uninstall Slack easily
Use a dedicated uninstaller, like CleanMyMac X, if you want to uninstall Slack completely.
CleanMyMac X is a multi-purpose app that simplifies the process of uninstalling multiple apps.
Using CleanMyMac X to uninstall an application saves you time, since it removes all the files associated with it, not just the binary file.
If you remove an application manually, you’ll have to track down all the files it has placed in various folders on your Mac.
CleanMyMac X can be downloaded free of charge. To uninstall Slack, follow the instructions below.
- Select the Uninstaller module in CleanMyMac X.
- Slack is listed among the apps.
- You can select it by checking the box next to it.
- Simply click the Uninstall button.
With a click of the Uninstall button, CleanMyMac X will remove all traces of Slack from your computer.
If you have attended the steps above, you should be able to successfully uninstall Slack from your Mac.
It doesn’t matter if you chose to switch to another collaboration tool or simply no longer need to use Slack, you should be able to do so following the process outlined above.
If you remove Slack from your Mac, in addition to freeing up some valuable storage space, you’ve also simplified your application list in the process.
In the future, if you need to reinstall Slack, you can always do so from the official website or the Mac App Store if you need it again.